Mitsui O.S.K. Lines (MOL) endorsed the Women’s Empowerment Principles (WEPs) and signed a statement to act in accordance with the principles.
The WEPs are a set of Principles offering guidance to business on how to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment in the workplace, marketplace and community.
Established by UN Global Compact and UN Women, the WEPs are informed by international labor and human rights standards and grounded in the recognition that businesses have a stake in, and a responsibility for, gender equality and women’s empowerment.
WEPs are a primary vehicle for corporate delivery on gender equality dimensions of the 2030 agenda and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
By joining the WEPs community, the CEO signals commitment to this agenda at the highest levels of the company and to work collaboratively in multistakeholder networks to foster business practices that empower women. These include equal pay for work of equal value, gender-responsive supply chain practices and zero tolerance against sexual harassment in the workplace.
WEPs seven principles
Seven principles for companies to place gender equality at the core of their management and to voluntarily address this issue.
- Principle 1: Establish high-level corporate leadership for gender equality
- Principle 2: Treat all women and men fairly at work – respect and support human rights and nondiscrimination
- Principle 3: Ensure the health, safety and well-being of all women and men workers
- Principle 4: Promote education, training and professional development for women
- Principle 5: Implement enterprise development, supply chain and marketing practices that empower women
- Principle 6: Promote equality through community initiatives and advocacy
- Principle 7: Measure and publicly report on progress to achieve gender equality
MOL Group positions diversity and inclusion, including the promotion of women’s participation, as a “new driving force for growth” and places it at the core of its human resource strategy, creating a framework that enables the creation of new value by combining the diverse personalities and abilities of each and every employee worldwide.
By supporting the seven principles of WEPs, the group will continue to communicate and create a culture of diversity and inclusion in Japan and overseas so that each and every employee can maximize their potential and realize our corporate philosophy, “From the blue oceans, we sustain people’s lives and ensure a prosperous future.”
Photo credit: iStock/ maroke