MOL Consolidation Service (MCS), part of the Mitsui O.S.K. Lines (MOL), has completed the trial transport of containers equipped with a remote container tracking management device. These containers were on railway routes connecting China and Europe.
This device, mounted inside the container, makes it possible to monitor cargo in transit. The solution uses various equipment such as GPS, a temperature gauge, and an optical sensor.
- Characteristics of the device
- Information on the cargo such as its location, temperature, and humidity is transmitted to the customer through email or via smartphone application
- Light weight (130gm) and compact size (90mm long x 62mm wide x 26mm deep). Therefore enable anyone to easily attach it inside the container
- Battery life is 70 days. Hence, making it suitable even for long-distance transport
- Functions of the device
- Track the location and route of the cargo in real time using GPS
- Monitor vibration, temperature, and humidity inside container during transport
- Monitor unauthorized opening and closing of the container during transport with an optical sensor
Help reassure customers
MCS conducted trials on three railway routes from central and south China to Europe (Ningbo-Poland/Ningbo-Germany/Shenzhen-Poland). This is in cooperation with a Chinese railway company and customers.
The devices successfully transmitted periodic updates to the MCS server on the cargo position and conditions on all three routes. The transmitted info started from the place of receipt to the final destination.
Starting this fall, the company plans to start practical use of the devices, installing them in containers upon the request of customers.
Certainly, the device will help reassure customers that their shipments do arrive on time. Moreover, customers can have the assurance that their cargoes are safe from pilferage. Also, they have the convenience to monitor cargo status anytime they want.
This trial was conducted as one of the initiatives aimed at improving customer service through ICT. Through it, MOL aims to set themselves apart from the competition. Finally, the group will continuously provides stress-free services that meet various customer needs by providing innovative supply chain solutions.